firstname.lastname@example.org / +44 7799 574672
www.roryhinshelwood.co.uk Also on LinkedIn
I am studying Zoology and Spanish at the University of Sussex. I want to work in advertising when I graduate. I am entrepreneurial and ambitious and thrive in a creative team environment. I have my own brand of t-shirts promoted via social media.
I am looking for work experience in copywriting/creative advertising in Summer 2019 to increase my understanding of advertising and add value to advertising projects.
Employment and Work Experience
· 2018 – Present. The Groov Collective – Co-Founder and responsibility for branding of a night club and arts event group that hosts club nights at some of Brighton’s biggest venues. We have raised £3500 for charity across 6 events with an average of 500 people per event.
· 2018 – Present. The Badger Newspaper – Print Production Sub-Editor for student newspaper. My role involves management of section editors and writers and well as graphic designers for the fortnightly print publication and special edition pullouts. It also involves formatting and developing the aesthetic of the newspaper.
· 2017- Present. Poplar St. Founder and designer of my own t-shirt brand. Now in in its second collection. 120 t-shirts sold, advertised through social media.
· 2017- Present. Off to Work Catering – Work part time fortheir Platinum Team as a waiter, bartender, retail assistant and cloakroom attendant across London & Brighton.
· Summer 2018. Forever Beta – Spent a month assisting as a copywriter. I wrote small print for Co-op’s flyers and in-store hand outs, as well as radio ad scripts that went live on Heart Radio. Took creative briefs and participated in conferences. I assisted with campaign ideas for Kaspersky Security (one of which became their new campaign) and Camden Town Brewery. Identified influencers for campaigns and developed social media strategies as well as inputting to rebranding for INK.
· Summer 2018. The & Partnership – 2 week internship in account management, I did research on competitors and summarized industry news for Lexus, Big Yellow, Argos and British Gas. Developed my knowledge on the working of a creative agency, meeting with multiple departments, from Sound to Production to Creative to Planning.
· 2018. Skill Rail– Managed social media pages for Skill Rail employed brands. Designed and posted content independently on social media platforms.
· Summer 2017. WCRS - I wrote targeted lifestyle blogs for Next Clothing, contributed ideas for the Warburton’s Pride and Breadjudice and Now TV (The Walking Dead) and undertook market research. I wrote the monthly competitor review for the Santander team.
· Summer 2017. Competitively selected to attend VCCP Ad School. We undertook a competitive pitch for Frijj Milkshakes, which my team won. We produced a mood film and multiple visuals for print and social media to support our pitch.
· January to September 2017 - Worked in Mexico City for a NGO/charity as Special Project Coordinator identifying sponsorship opportunities from US tech firms. Living independently in a new city for three months encouraged me to take the initiative and develop my Spanish. I was then kept on retainer for 5 months, working remotely. I organized meetings with companies including Shell, BHP Billiton, ConvaTec, Diageo, Smurfit Kappa and Unilever.
· Sept to Dec. 2017 Volunteered with the ICS charity in Nicaragua helping small sanitation businesses develop their marketing proposals and prepare funding documentation. I taught English and health topics to children and ran community initiatives in conservation. I developed my leadership, public speaking and team skills, and spoke Spanish every day.
· Set up the Jove fashion label selling caps with minimalistic designs, sourced a manufacturer in Cambodia, created a web page and marketed on social media
· 2015 Earthwatch. Learnt how corporations can decrease their carbon footprint.
· 2014 HSBC Madrid. I shadowed executives in various departments of the bank.
Education at The King’s School Canterbury
A Levels 2016 - A in Biology and B’s in Spanish and Drama.
GCSEs 2014 - 2 A*, 6 A’s (including English and Maths) and 2 C’s.
Currently at the University of Sussex in my second year
Other Achievements and Responsibilities
2019 Tour Captain of Sussex Men’s Rugby– responsible for 47 boys on a week’s tour to Croatia
2019 Finished my first novella ‘A Wretch Like Me’
2018 & 19 Running the Brighton Half Marathon in aid of IPF. Last year we raised £10k as a club and aim to raise £12k this year
2018 Featured Writer – Sussex Short Fiction Society
2018 Art Exhibitionist – Charity Pink Week
2018 Featured Artist The Burrow – Had my photography featured in a special arts edition
2018 Artist Focus Badger Newspaper - I was interviewed for my progress and achievements with my fashion brand Poplar St.
2016 Writer of ‘And With The Wind It Went’. Finalist for the inaugural Wilbur & Niso Smith Foundation Writers of Tomorrow Award, now on World Reader with 50,000 reads so far and soon to be published on Amazon.
2016 Awarded King’s School Canterbury Drama Scholarship
Duke of Edinburgh Award and Black Belt in Karate
As well as creating my website, I enter writing competitions. I enjoy textiles; designing and adapting vintage clothes for sale. I take photographs and love drama. I speak Spanish and have lived in Australia, Singapore and India. I play rugby for the 1stteam at Sussex, wakeboard and ski.